Deprecated: Function get_page_by_title is deprecated since version 6.2.0! Use WP_Query instead. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5453Skip to the content
History and teachings
It was established by Tsar Ivan Alexander (ruled 1331 – 1371 AD) in about 1341 and remained after the Ottoman conquest in 1382. The monastery church was renovated and painted in 1476.
The monastery complex consists of a church, residential buildings, and outbuildings. In the 17th century, it also had a monastery school. The monastery had provided refuge for the revolutionist Vasil Levski (1837 – 1873).
The monastery was declared a cultural monument. The library holds its early liturgical books and a manuscript of the 4th Gospel of 1534 AD. 15 August – the day of the Virgin Mary was chosen for a memorial day.
Knowledge, historical and cultural awareness. Architecturally, it shares many features with other contemporary churches in the Sofia region, including the Church of St Petka of the Saddlers in the city and the church of the Kremikovtsi Monastery. Links can be found with other regional religious sites.
recommended for all; general; does not require prior knowledge; accessible;
Sofia outskirts, lower part of Vitosha mountain; bus available or via car. Accessibility (for disabled) , preparedness of the staffN/A. Infrastructure, staff, safety measures, languages complex infrastructure, Bulgarian and English languages , limited staff